I grew up in Arkansas and nothing beats a Sunday Supper of Fried Chicken and Collard Greens. Remember to make a cast-iron skillet of cornbread to dip into the potlikker. Potlikker is the highly concentrated, vitamin-filled broth that results from the long boil of the greens. It will cure what ails you.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 slice hickory smoked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 cups water
- 2 cartons chicken broth (32 ounce)
- 2 pounds chopped fresh collards
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bacon and cook stirring frequently for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add 8 cups water, chicken broth and collards.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, peppers and salt.
Recipe and photo courtesy of tastearkansas.com
Under Cabinet Spice Racks Only $69.95 with free shipping! Click here
Ultimate Kitchen Storage Under Cabinet Spice Racks Only $69.95 with free shipping! Click here